Thursday, February 28, 2008

Mya, the service dog

Our dog, Mya, is so smart and loves to help out, so we decided to try to teach her to be a bigger help around the house... Sandra and Susan will remember I have wanted to train a service dog ever since they were here and we saw a TV show about them.

So I want to train Mya to carry the laundry downstairs and to get her mouth stronger, we have been having her carry an empty ice cream bucket. She is getting really good at learning it is work, not a game. Usually, she just carries mail or dirty socks, but yesterday, we had her carry some stuff up stairs that we needed up there and she just put her head up and walked around like she was carrying the crown jewels of Europe.

But coming back down the stairs, she grasped the bucket by the edge instead of the handle and then she tried to trot down the stairs.... I think she only landed on like 3 of the stairs... Apparently, you can't see if you have an ice cream bucket attached to your face. So now we know, she has to carry it by the handle. She wasn't hurt, but it was scary to watch.

We'll try to get some pictures of it one day soon. I really need to learn how to post pictures (well, I've learned to post pictures, but I haven't learned how to get them off the camera into the computer, yet).

Charlotte

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love to hear about your smart dog. Its fun when they learn.I still miss my dog in Denver.Maybe she could pull something up the stairs with a harness. Just a thought. Love mother