Monday, March 03, 2008

Passing of the torch

I tried to get a picture of the Olympic torch, but I couldn't get it to post.

anyway, I have been thinking a lot lately and with Earlene's busy schedule and with her family of grandkids growing every day, I have decided that it is only fair that I let go of my dream of winning Olympic gold in Synchronized Swimming in the 2008 Olympics. I just feel that I need to look outside myself and be willing to sacrifice my personal goals for the greater good of our extended family.

I personally am not completely comfortable with the whole China / Taiwan / Mongolia political situation. I know that the Olympics is supposed to transcend the whole political issue, but I'm just not big enough to let by-gones be by-gones, I guess.

But I really don't want my political views to be out there in the international Olympic arena, so if any of us are interviewed about why the best team in Synchronized Swimming is (literally) hanging up their towel, please refer them to the position that Earlene is needed by her new and growing grandchildren.

also, there is no truth in the rumors out there that we were caught with illegal hydralic lifts built into our swim suits in the 2004 Games. I think anyone who caught our performances in those games could see that we were running strictly on our own power and have never had to resort to illegal activities to maintain our place in the great history of the Games.

thank you for your continuing support of our endeavors thru the years and please support our privacy during this difficult time as we pass the torch to a younger generation.

The Whisler Girls --- Earlene and Charlotte

8 comments:

Brian & Charlotte Carper said...

Oh MY! Another Olympic tradition gone by the wayside. So sad! Char's been a part of the Olympic games since ANCIENT Greece.Time fly's I guess. hehe

Anonymous said...

OH!My! I have waited all these many years to see you compete ! I am Sad. Glad you do not have to go to China and breate all that bad air. They are going to use cloud seeding and things but still.

I have had much joy and laughter over this competion . Love Mother

Our son Kade said...

Well, I'm shocked, although I do have to say I'm not surprised that they didn't have hydraulic lifts, having seen mom in her warm ups. hehe. Alicia

jed-laura said...

And Laura just finished sewing the red and blue sequins to your new swim caps... they were really fantastic. Maybe they will sell for a fortune on Ebay.

-Jed

Brian & Charlotte Carper said...

I'm so sorry Laura already finished our hats. Did she use the Be-Dazzler? ? ?

You all realize, of course, that our contract gives us 70% of all proceeds from selling any merchandise that relates to our Olympic personnas, so we will be monitoring e-bay for pirated merchandise.... hehehe

Also, I was informed that Mongolia is already free, it is Tibet we are supposed to be supporting. my bad Charlotte

The Rhiens said...

Wow! To be honest, I am shocked that Charlotte would post this without first talking to me about our retirement...I mean, Charlotte, aren't you tempted by the idea of the sequined bathing caps? Laura has worked hard on them, I think. They were going to be a surprise on your birthday. Each sequin was sewn on by hand...and Jed came up with the original design.

I am a little hurt that I wasn't consulted. I have been working up a new routine and all. But, if you're ready to hang up the towel, so to speak. Well, what can I say....??

;)

Love,Earlene

Anonymous said...

I had already contacted cousin Bill(Marriott) FOR A HUGE DISCOUT FOR ALL OUR ROOMS. NO FInAL REPLY so you can still change your minds. Ha! Ha!
O.K. its o.K. if you don't get this.
This is as bad or worse than the names for Rhien babies. Love Grandma Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Good grief, I go to New Orleans for a week, and the biggest decision in a generation gets made. And to think that I had arranged for the remaining Grateful Dead to put aside their grievances and come together to perform your music live at the Olympics. Oh well, I am not sure you would have liked China anyway. And you know how snotty some of those newscasters can be.

You could probably still enter as a sister act at the Mrs. America contest next year. . .

Love, Sandra