Friday, September 12, 2008

Hats off to Levi "501" Bobbitt

I tried to post a comment on Levi's blog, but it kept restricting me to less than 300 characters, and I just couldn't say what I wanted to say in 300 characters, so I decided to post about Levi 501 here on our blog.


When I first met Levi "501" Bobbitt about 23 years ago, I remember this little white haired boy who had lots of energy and smiles. Alicia came home from kindergarten and told us there was a boy in her class named Levi 501 - like Levi 501 Jeans. I said, there is a boy named, Levi Bobbitt, is that who you mean? and she said, "no, Levi Bobbitt is someone else, I don't know him - I just know Levi 501".

So, as she told you, we have always called you Levi 501 Jeans. I don't know what that has to do with having cancer, just whenever we think of you, we smile, but now our smile sort of turns to a tear as it is breaking our hearts for you to be suffering and fighting this fight again. I wish I knew what to say.

I DO KNOW what it is like to get up every morning and look at that pill box and know how sick each of those pills is going to make you and then knowing how sick you will be if you don't take them. Every meal tasting like sawdust, but knowing you have to eat it. Hurting so much you can't lay in bed or sit in a chair or stand up - that doesn't leave any place to put your body that doesn't make you cry out in pain.

And your loss of personal relationship and setbacks at work just when you got your ideal promotion -

There aren't any words from me that are going to help you thru this but I want you to know that we do wish for you to be able to once more be that little light-hearted boy that didn't have a care in the world and didn't know what the future held for him besides running around the playground and swimming at the lake. Our prayers are with you and we are pulling for you to win this fight again.

So, Hang on, Levi 501, Hang on. Love, The Carpers

1 comment:

Levi J. Bobbitt said...

You guys are amazing! Thank you so much for your words of wisdom and hope! I'd really like your email if you want to pass it off to me sometime.

I remember Alicia too. She was never afraid to say what she felt. Both sassy, upbeat, and brilliant at the same time. When she moved to Alaska I was shocked and surprised, but so were the rest of the classmates in our little town of Joseph. Times were changing that year, especially with the loss of the mill and logging industry. The old Joseph we knew is now gone. But it is still nice to hear the spirit of it's folks live on!

Thank you so much Carpers. My Hat goes off to you folks. The hard working, caring, and compassionate folks that you are. The folks that care so much about their fellow human being. I say Thank You!