Monday, April 06, 2009

Boy is our face RED ! ! !

Well, I feel really ignorant, but it turns out there really are ash holes.

Here in Alaska, on a sunny day in the winter, the sun shines but it is sooooooooooo far away that it doesn't heat and melt the snow. It is so disappointing to go out on a sunny afternoon and find out that the ice is now polished and slicker, but not melted at all.

Now, it turns out, the ash really does absorb the heat of the sun faster than the snow does so everywhere is covered in pits as the sun shines down and warms the ash and it melts the snow beneath the ash, but not the snow that isn't under the ash.

We had to drive to town today and it was amazing to see all the "streams and riverlets" flowing beside the roads and driveways and down hillsides. The ash is melting the snow underneath it - I'm really glad we don't live at the bottom of a hill or creek. (Worried about you, Maxine and Ray).

The river, of course, is still frozen solid so all this water really has no place to go. There is a giant lake forming on the highway by Diamond Ridge road.

We are all completely fine and not in any danger from the volcano at all. Thanks for all your prayers and concerns. I am totally in my element as those who knew me as a child can attest too. What a science project I could have made. hehehe

As for the surgery, we are still on hold. Looking for surgeons and a hospital. In the end, we might have to go to Seattle or the Mayo clinic, but we are still hoping to have it done closer to home. Tired of doctor appointments and scared because of Mark's surgery that they will find the same in me, but I've had a couple really thorough conversations with my two doctors that I really trust and they are convinced that I don't have rampant cancer and that we have plenty of time to find doctors who are comfortable operating on me.

I have let myself get really down over this, but there was an excellent talk at conference that letting ourselves feel despair is one of the first steps that Satan uses to get us to doubt the Lord and start the journey away from the safety of the Savior so I am more determined to recognize that when I start to feel despair, it is time to hit my scriptures and then my knees (or vice versa).

Love you guys - and again, watch out for ASH HOLES - they really do exist and they are everywhere. hahahaha

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Well, its not just you! A couple weeks ago when you did the first posts about ash holes, I googled the term to see if I could find anything about it, but all there was was all the jokes (including your and Alicia's posts in the top ten!). So
we live and learn. . . Love, Sandra

Anonymous said...

Oh well it made for some good laughs and smiles and we need that now! L:ove mother