Saturday, May 20, 2006

Our Busy Pond

Well, our pond has been the place to be this spring. If you're waterfowl that is. :) We've got at least one wild pair living on the pond for the season, and I think we've got a couple more too. The pair living on the pond is a pair of mallards. Then we also have had a pair of green winged teals (which are the smallest of the pond ducks) that have been around a bit too. Other than that we have a pair of wigeons that seem to be around a lot too. Altogether we have had mallards, american wigeons, a pair of Barrow's Goldeneyes, 3 full size sandhill cranes, yellow legs, plovers, and green winged teals. Plus the usual bunches of swallows. So that is fun. We've had a lot of sandhill cranes flying over, but the 3 are the only ones that have stopped to visit. They stayed in the yard for a couple days, and they fly over a lot, but haven't stopped again that we have noticed. So that is our fun with the wild birds.

We really don't have a lot of news other than that. Mom had to go to the hospital this week for chest pain. After they put her on oxygen for a couple of hours, she was feeling better, so we're pretty sure it was her usual pleurisy, just more intense than usual.

Today at midnight started the King salmon fishing season, so dad went out bright and way early this morning, but the water is running really deep, muddy, fast, and cold, so the fishing was bad. He said no one was cathing any. There's still lots of time to catch fish though. He was going to get to go halibut fishing this week with his friend Steve, but he had to work instead, which is good and bad. Good for the money, bad for not getting to go fishing.

As for me, I'm not really up to much. I cleaned my room today, that was pretty exciting let me tell you. :) But it looks nice.

Mom and I went to a scrapbooking crop at the local scrapbooking store for a few hours last night, and it was really nice. We got a lot done in just a few hours, and it was really peaceful and nice. There was supposed to be 3 other people there, but they didnt' come, so it was just mom, me and Tracy the woman that works there. At the store, when you pay to crop, you get to use all of their tools, and die cutting machine, so that was really fun. We dont' have a die cutting machine, so that was fun, we cut out all kinds of letters, shapes and such. It was just a nice fun time. We are working on an album, mom and I together, about our family vacation to Las Vegas/Capitol Reef/Bryce/etc. from 1992. Lots of fun.

I guess that is everything about us. I took some pictures of the cranes hanging out on the pond, but you'd need a magnifier to find them in the picture, so guess I won't post them. Oh, we also have wood frogs on the pond, and they croak and call all afternoon until late at night, so that is fun. They are really funny. Everytime the duck quacks, or the goose screams, the frogs answer back. Funny. Ok, well we love you all. Alicia

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I don't have as many as you guys but for the first time ever I have a baby woodpecker. He is just black and white as far as I can see. I hope noone hurts him. I havean't seen my wrens vack this year.
Your scrapbooking class sounds like fun. I am not very good at iat but still enjoy it.
Jed and Laura are getting setteled in Dallas. Much Love Grandma Marilyn

The Rhiens said...

I love hearing your wildlife stories. About all we have here are some common birds and lots of lizards. And an occasional bunny. Thanks for sharing.

I hope that you're doing OK, Char. Keep us posted.

And have fun scrapbooking. That is something I haven't done in SOOOO long!

Love, Earlene

Paul and Nicole Rhien said...

WWOOOOHH - what a fish! You might not believe it, but I STILL haven't caught a fish. (Remember when we went in Joseph, and all I kept catching was seaweed.) In fact, Nicole and I went out fishing this past summer and I had a fish jump over my line. Rediculous. We're going to go out this summer with some friends that know what they are doing and hopefully catch something. i'm not counting on it though :)

Love you - Paul & Nicole