Thursday, June 15, 2006

Garden Art






Here are a couple up close pictures of the garden art that dad and I have been working on. So far we make Sandhill cranes, bears, a bull moose, and fish (halibut and salmon). The patterns are ones that I have drawn based on pictures and animals that I have seen. The bear that we make is from a drawing I did of the bear that dad killed a few years ago (Booboo) out on Unimak Island. The moose is one I drew off the horns that dad brought back last year, the body I recreated off pictures of moose from our yard when we lived in Homer and made to scale with the horn drawing. The salmon was drawn by Kyle - our friend Margret's son. The halibut was just drawn off one of our many halibut pictures. Today dad and I spent the day working on in the shop cutting more of them out. We cut some out of aluminum, and some out of steel. The aluminum ones are polished up really pretty. Then the steel ones are more rusty looking, except one of the salmon, dad polished it up really nice and shiny, then he took his torch to it and "colored" the steel with the heat, so that it changes color like a real fish. Cool stuff. I have a new appreciation for how hard dad works - metal working is tough! Its hard on the back too!!

Other than that, not much new here. My peas are up in the garden, along with the radishes too. And the rhubarb of course - we've even made pie from it too. Yum, rhubarb strawberry pie.

The cat is having trouble with all the rain we've had lately. He's just sure that if its raining out on the deck, it won't be raining out on the front porch. So he just goes from door to door trying to find the magical door that doesn't have any rain. Poor guy. :)

We've been doing some work for a ward bake/rummage sale this weekend. I'm making 2 decorated cakes and mom and I made a big batch of million dollar fudge. The boy scouts need money to go to camp, so we're all banding together as a ward to help them get what they need. Oh, and they're having a car wash too I think. Should be an all day activity saturday.

Hope you are all well. We love you. Alicia

4 comments:

Joanna said...

So glad to see a new post!

The yard art is really cool looking! Must be fun to see something come about after all the hard work. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Good luck with the sale tomorrow. Our ward recently did an auction to raise money for YW and Scout camps. It was lots of work, but nice to see people chip in and help everyone out.

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I love the yard Art. I am impressed/
The weather got too hot too early and our peas are gone/Love you all so much. Grandma Marilyn

The Rhiens said...

I love your yard art! Very cool. You'll have to let us know how they sell. And how the sale for the scouts goes. Good luck with both.

Love, Earlene

Paul and Nicole Rhien said...

Well done! You have some real talent there!

Love, Paul & Nicole