Sunday, August 26, 2007

Charlotte's big day

Our choir director at church lost one of her sons this week. Her kids that came up for the funeral were leaving this afternoon, so I called and asked if I could lead the choir for her and she said, yes, please, and would you please play the organ for Sacrament meeting, as it is her turn to play ( we have 5 organists that take turns - none is that good really, and we've lost 2 of them this week to moving). So there wasn't anyone else to play the organ.... so I got to pick the songs. I only know 2 sacrament hymns - I have about 12 or 15 other songs I can sort of play. Alicia and Justin went to Palmer for the State Fair and to visit some friends, and just have a weekend away ( I think they wanted to skip out on the children's sacrament program, but they said that was an unfounded rumor).

So, I also volunteered to teach Alicia's young women's class. So, Friday, I had to drive myself to town to see my doctor and that was weird - I haven't driven in MONTHS or even years. Thank goodness for cruise control. I couldn't keep track of what my feet were supposed to be doing and what my arms and eyes were supposed to be doing. Made it safe and sound - even went to 2 banks and didn't hit anything going thru the drivethrus.

Friday night I had to make 4 dozen rolls for the funeral - and I haven't baked in YEARS, especially not bread, and not by myself.... I kept telling myself, I can buy rolls, no one will notice. But I knew I would notice and this was a special friend that would make home made rolls if I had a funeral, so I made 2 batches of potato dough in the bread machine and formed them into rolls and baked them - the last ones came out about 12:30 am - right after Brian got home from work.

Then, of course, I had to drive my self into the funeral because the kids were still gone and Brian was working. I don't usually do funerals, but, again, she would come if we had one. She is a very kind and loving and self-less person and would do anything for anybody. So I went to the funeral and while they all went to the cemetery, I practiced the organ a bit. The chorister was there and worked a little on our timing and such, so felt a little more confident, but still had a major panic attack last night. I called Brian finally and he was already on the way home, so I was okay. It was one of those situations where usually I would just take more tranquilizers to calm down, but knew that I had to be so on top of my game physically and mentally today, that I didn't dare take any extra to calm down.

He was teasing me about being an over-achiever and stuff like that - then today, when he had to cart all my accessories he was complaining about my need to travel lighter, but he carried everything.

So I directed the choir for practice and to perform- since it was the children's program, we sang a song to them - "A child's prayer". It was really difficult to get the adults to get how to sing it, but fortunately we got a bunch of the young women to come up and help us and it turned out really well. Then I went staight to the organ and played. I could use work on my ingress and egress, I don't practice introductions, and I will need to start doing that. But it went REALLY well. The congregation could recognize the songs and I had like 3 mini-tiny baubles, but there were so many people there, I don't think they could hear them. Our organ is not designed to be played for 2 huge rooms, so when we have 300 people here for summer meetings and have to open up the back, the organ isn't loud enough. But it was a good beginning for me.

I did lose feeling in my lower back and legs and yesterday, the chorister and I had already talked about how hard it is for me to get on and off the organ bench ( my feet are a good 6 inches from reaching anything). I glanced over at her during the sacrament and she signaled that she would come over and help me get down, so she did and I limped down to my seat with brian for the meeting, then booked it back up for the closing song.

This is SUCH a huge triumph for me. I have only been able to go to church about 6 times this whole year because of my agoraphobia, so to be able to go, in the summer, and play and perform in front of 300 people, is a major, major victory. YAY !!! Please keep me in your prayers that I didn't over do it and will now backslide - I don't think I will, but I can surely use your prayers.

Dr. Burgess is starting me on another new medication this week - finally addressing the pain issue, I'm hoping for great success. Keep your fingers crossed. Have a good week everyone - I know I will !!! -----IT'S COLLEGE KICK OFF WEEK!!!!! TRIPLE YAY'S ALL AROUND.
Love, Charlotte

5 comments:

The Rhiens said...

Wow,girl! I am so proud of you. Sounds like it was quite a weekend for you. And YOU DID IT! What an accomplishment. Isn't it crazy that we can do things we didn't think possible...it always amazes me how much strength (emotional, physical and spiritual) we can muster when we need to. Way to go! You'll be in our thoughts and prayers. Love ya!

Earlene, Scott and Julia

jed-laura said...

Sounds like you were real busy- and still had the strength to blog about it when you were done :)

You will be in our prayers that you will have sustained energy and health.

-Jed

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Char! That sounds pretty amazing. Now, the trick is to take care of yourself for the next week or so, not just say "Oh this is the new me; I can do it all the time now!" I love you, Sandra

Paul and Nicole Rhien said...

Way to go!

Joanna said...

Awesome! It sounds like you accomplished so much - that's great. Here's to hoping that you'll keep feeling good. Don't wear yourself out too much.

Love, Joanna