Sunday, September 16, 2007

Graduation

On Friday, I "graduated" from physical therapy - we have been driving in 2 days a week to do physical therapy at the hospital. It has been really good for me - I am getting lots stronger - but it seemed to always take 2 full days to get it done, so we are glad to have the time for other things. I will miss Kerri - she has been great. But she is just here for the summer - our hospital has trouble keeping enough staff on, so they hire traveling people whenever they can. It is a great chance for young workers to see the country and make good money.

Anyway, we will still do the exercises here at home with Alicia helping me. We need to order a set of weights, but we can do that. Kerri taught me how to go up and down stairs with a cane, which I didn't have before. So Alicia bought me a cane in Anchorage last week - and it is really a help. I wish someone had thought of that 10 years ago, it is really nice to know I can go up and down when I need to. (it is still pretty taxing for me, but I least I know I won't get stuck half way up and have to crawl on my hands and knees. I don't mind the crawling on the inside steps, but have really hesitated to crawl up the steps that face the highway - I just don't think Anchor Point and all the tourists are ready to see that - heheh).

I'm in the permanent rotation for organ playing at church. It is usually once, sometimes twice a month. It is keeping me on my toes, I practice at least an hour a day. I don't know why I resisted practicing so much when I was young - I really appreciate the break in my day, when I can just sit and devote to music. ( okay, Mother, so I don't do my scales for 20 minutes a day, but I still play them sometimes. I always think of you in the kitchen, yelling out, "I haven't heard any scales yet today. You can't just play fun stuff.") I found an old hymnbook in the church library that has the songs in the keys I learned them in when I was young - some of them are much easier for me to play in that book, so that will be a help on some songs. I just never have mastered playing with sharps, which the newer hymnbook is excessively full of.
Have a wonderful Sabbath day. Love, Charlotte

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charlotte, It's great to hear that physical therapy has helpd you so much. I know it has certainly helped me after I broke my ankle and with my foot problems.

And its great that you are enjoying playing music. I am always jealous of people who can make music as well as enjoy it. . .

Love to you (I picture you with a wall of meat piled all around your house like a fence, but I know that's just a fantasy!) Love, S

Anonymous said...

I am so PROUD of you for sticking out the therapy. IBelieve I know what a struugle it is but so glad it hleps. Kwewp it up. I am working really good and constat at mine and I fwee l so much more cheerful and better.
I can also remember calling from the kitchen. The fullnny part was I really never knew what you were supposssed to be doing but knew it wasn't always quite what it should be. Ha!HA! Love You mother