Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Only in Alaska

We had a freaky thing happen at the high school yesterday. A mama moose and her yearling bull calf were hanging out over the weekend at the high school. They had charged the late night custodians so that they couldn't shovel the snow off the front walk of the school. Our high school has a large courtyard/ veranda and this time of year, moose seek out places without snow and they found the area to their liking.

Of course, we can't have moose charging kids and workers as they get really agitated around schools and have been known to kick people to death is school yards.

s0 anyway, yesterday morning the police and the custodians chased the mother away, but it just made the bull angrier. They ended up trying to shew him with rubber bullets and pepper spray and finally they decided they would use their tazers on him. INSTANT RAGE - he charged right at the officers and at about 3 feet away, they had to pull their weapons and shoot him. Right on the steps and deck of the school - in front of the windows of the classrooms. I'm surprised it hasn't been on the national news.

Some kids were shaken and dismayed and felt he didn't need to be killed, but he really did - you just can't have charging moose around schools. The police hauled him behind the school and had a charity come harvest the meat. I'm glad Brian wasn't at work when it happened so he wasn't in on the decision making and so the kids can't get mad at him for it.

I don't have a picture of it, but I imagine the story will be in the Homer News or the Homer Tribune next week. We always have to have a big controversy this time of year to help us all get thru the winter.

4 comments:

The Rhiens said...

That's so crazy. I bet that was pretty traumatic for the students...not to mention the janitors and others involved. Crazy!

Earlene

jed-laura said...

Whoa, I'm not sure what I'd do if I came close to something that big and dangerous. I've never heard anything like it. When Jed and I were engaged/ newly married, Jed saw a Moose walk onto campus while he was washing windows. I'm not sure how they ended up getting it off campus, but that was summer time anyhow. And I don't think they shot it with anything. I think it left willingly anyhow.

-Laura

Anonymous said...

hahahahahaaaa. -Ben

Anonymous said...

Brian thank you very much for the offer, but I think we had warm in the picture when we said beach. NO MORE COLD!