Sunday, August 24, 2008

Our Olympic moment

I somehow got to see the synchronized swimming team competitions - I missed all of the duet competitions. One funny moment for me was when the male announcer asked the expert how anyone would get into this sport and I tried to think back to how this all started.

I remember as young girls - probably still in Medford - where we spent a lot of each summer at the public pool - I remember us trying to do synchronized moves where we would sit down on the floor of the pool together and have pretend tea parties (you would probably call that the tea party manuever) and we had moves where we tried to do hand stands at the same time and hold them the same amount of time... It was long before we ever watched Olympics and long, long before the sport was invented. I wonder if someone saw us and used that inspiration to invent the entire sport. WOW - what a legacy....

Back to reality - Earlene - I'm thinking hydraulics made out of soy - water soluable like those packing peanuts that dissolve in water?? We could line our suits with them and as we swam, they would dissolve and when they checked us after the meet - we would just have regular suits..... I don't know if the dissolving would create a cloudy residue in the water? We could work up some kind of threshing motions in our routine so that people would think the water was frothy from our exertion..

Just a thought or two - I really don't want to think our competing days are completely behind us... What am I supposed to do with all those cases of gelatin for our hair?

1 comment:

Nicole said...

On line we got to see an entire routine from an under-water camera. Wow! That sport take more coordination than most. I'm proud of you guys and hope to see you get your act together for London:)
Paul