Monday, January 05, 2009

55 below

The HIGH today in Fairbanks is supposed to be minus 55. That is the HIGH. I didn't hear what the low was supposed to be. YIKES. Makes our 15 to 30 below look more liveable, except that I have to spend the week in Anchorage getting in and out of the car to go to doctor appointments and shopping and such and that degree of cold is really painful for my body. Please keep me in your prayers. It is kind of a good distraction = I'm not nearly as freaked about the biopsies and the ultrasound as I am about getting too cold. (well, I'm a little freaked - there isn't any change in my condition since I was up there in June, this is just my followup - I'll probably keep doing this until something changes).

I'm on page 300 of War and Peace. Ihate to tell you, Jed, but the beginning is just like the middle. Tolstoy just drops us into the lives of these people and continues on like that for the rest of the book. I love it, but it seems more like a woman's book than something a man would enjoy. It's mainly about going to dinner parties and getting married for profit and getting ahead in life or in politics. The best thing I can think of to prepare someone to read it is to read about Marie Antoinette and the time of the French revolution - that was the subject I studied last winter and this just sort of picks up where that left off. The russians were so into all things French in this time period.

I keep waiting for the great items of "doctorinal import" but so far I haven't found anything of the sort in the book. All the characters are looking for that one thing in their life and just like in real life, that one thing is different for each person.

Well, stay warm. A HIGH of 55 below.... too cold to even consider. BRRRRRRRR

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow-

Way to go on War and Peace, keep it up.

About your temperatures! That's crazy! I won't even tell you how warm it's been here lately, it would just make you crazy.

Good luck this week-
-Jed

Sandra said...

Good luck Char. I remember how cold 55 below is from Montana, and from once in Chicago when the wind chill was -88 and I had to go somewhere in the ice.

And good luck with the tests.

And congratulations on War and Peace.
Love, Sandra

The Rhiens said...

Brrrrrrrr! Remember the three of us girls curled up together playing downstairs in Montana, just trying to stay warm. Good luck with the temps and the tests. Love ya!

Earlene