Thursday, January 08, 2009

Back from the Doctors

We have just walked in the door from Anchorage. It is zero here which is 25 degrees warmer than it has been for 3 days in Anchorage (well, okay, sometimes it was only 15 below - but sometimes it was 35 below)... But the wind is here and it is about 35 below wind chill. As of today, we have set the record to be the third coldest period that Alaska has ever experienced. I'm not sure how many more days to be the coldest, but it is supposed to stay this cold for another week at least.

It is so hard to navigate in this kind of cold - everyone in Anchorage was cold and tired and grouchy. Except the people who were visiting from the bush and Fairbanks and stuff. They thought it was kind of toasty and didn't mind so much.

So the news is I do have to have surgery. We start the pro-op work here in Homer and have to get clearance from my doctor here. I have to start some physical therapy that will help me manage the post-op recovery. It should mostly be laproscopic. for sure we have to take one ovary, we are still looking for the second ovary, so we don't know if it needs to come out or not, and they I have to have my uterus taken out and some kind of procedure done on my bladder. I'm not that excited about it, but in a way, it is a relief to finally have something planned. It will probably take a month or so to get all the pre-op tests done and such. We'll keep you posted.

Hope you are all warm - I wish we were. hahahaha

4 comments:

Our son Kade said...

I like that "we're still looking for the second ovary" makes it sound like its been on vacation or stepped out of the office or something. Made me kind of chuckle the way you wrote it. Boy I'm glad we're not in that cold anymore, although this wind can stop anytime!!

Wild Banks' said...

You're in our prayers!

Sandra said...

Char, sorry to hear it's come to surgery, but on the other hand, sometimes its nice to be finally able to DO something besides wait and watch. You are in our prayers, of course.

Let's talk about some nutritional things you could do to set you up to heal better, too.

Love you much, and glad you got home safe. Sandra

The Rhiens said...

We love you and pray that all goes well for you in the weeks to come...may this all be a positive thing that sets you on a path of better health.

Thinking of you!
Love, Earlene