Saturday, January 17, 2009

When she was bad, she was horrid

I wasn't going to post this and then I was and then I wasn't, but I guess I will.

My mom used to always say that I was the little girl with the curl in the middle of her forehead, and when she was good, she was very good, and when she was bad, she was horrid.

I know that Joanne and Heather have both gone digital in their scrapbooking, but Alicia and I are very tactile people and we like to have our hoards of supplies and tools all stacked up on our desks where we can see them and where we have to move them everytime we have a new project. Last winter, my project was jewelry making and I sold a few pieces on etsy (there are still some there, if you are interested) . hehehe

Anyway, this summer, we took up rubber stamping in a serious way and last week while we were in Anchorage, we asked the owner of our cool new scrap book store how to color the stamps and she introduced us to these super cool markers and now we are so addicted. We just want to color all the time. Of course, we can't do that, but still we think about it all the time. I'm terrible at coloring, I always have been. I don't know what made me think that these markers would be the answer to my lack of skill, but I did. I don't know, I will study and try and see if I can get them to behave. There are all kinds of lessons on the internet on how to use them on different paper and with other mediums like colored pencils and such. Alicia is good at them already, but she has an eye for colors that I just do not have. She also got some really good scrap book pages done last week, but we don't have a 12 inch scanner, so we can't scan them in to show you.

Everytime I spend money on craft supplies and then go upstairs and try to put them away and there is no place to put them, I feel like a bad person. It's just REALLY hard to get thru a winter up here, you know?? Last week, it was 35 below and this week it is 45 above and it should be nice and springtimey out there, but up here the sun is still far far away and so when it warms up to 45 all it does is polish the ice. It is so slick out there - the school has cancelled all sports for 2 weeks - last week too cold, this week too warm and slippery. Freaky.

Oh, and I threw a fit a couple weeks ago because I could not get a single computer in this house to print ANYTHING, so we broke into our savings and got a new computer. We dreaded getting Vista because everyone says it was awful to work on, but so far we love it. I can turn it on and check all my email and blogs and etsy and my bank account in less than 5 minutes. the other computers took at least 10 just to boot up. It's really fast.

So, I know I can't single handedly jump start the US economy, but you know I always have to try. It is my patriotic duty. So I've been bad, but I've also been very patriotic and good.. :))

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your Blog today. It made me laugh because I face sum of the same problems
My paper clutter makes me feel cozy and warm and I have so little space. I feel scraping shopping coming on. Like a fever. We need thse things to keep our spirits bright .IT IS O.K. TO SCRAPBOOK!!! Your mother says so. Ha! Ha!

Sandra said...

Hey Char, It's a real push-pull isn't it. Susan has been known on more than one occasion to say, "don't you have enough glitter or stickers already?" And from her pov, i can see the point. But from my point of view, you never can tell when you will need a sticker of women's hats or that unusual color of green glitter. The fact that I already have six other shades of green glitter seems sort of irrelevant in the moment.

I got a new computer just before Christmas for the same reason--everything just took so long and it crashed so much that I couldn't stand it. And I love it. So what I am telling myself is that I am trying to only spend money on things I really really want or need. Resisting all the little impulse buys, but not the things that give me joy. Hang in there--I do still remember how long a long cold winter is, and I've never lived in Alaska.

Love you much, Sandra

Sandra said...

Hey Char, It's a real push-pull isn't it. Susan has been known on more than one occasion to say, "don't you have enough glitter or stickers already?" And from her pov, i can see the point. But from my point of view, you never can tell when you will need a sticker of women's hats or that unusual color of green glitter. The fact that I already have six other shades of green glitter seems sort of irrelevant in the moment.

I got a new computer just before Christmas for the same reason--everything just took so long and it crashed so much that I couldn't stand it. And I love it. So what I am telling myself is that I am trying to only spend money on things I really really want or need. Resisting all the little impulse buys, but not the things that give me joy. Hang in there--I do still remember how long a long cold winter is, and I've never lived in Alaska.

Love you much, Sandra

Our son Kade said...

hehehehe