Monday, February 23, 2009

So Far, So Good

We had a beautiful drive up to Anchorage today. The skies were blue and clear and the mountains were just breath taking. spring is definitely on its way to Anchorage. I always forget when I come here in the spring how much farther along they are than we are. In the winter the farther north you go - the colder it is, but in the spring it is the opposite.

I'm glad I don't live on the Kenai River. The North end of the River and the lake it feeds from are melted and the river is flowing pretty good. At Soldotna and Kenai the ice hasn't even begun to glimmer yet. When the free flowing part hits the frozen solid part in a few days, the people along the river better be sure their stuff is on high ground.

We splurged on some books and magazines at Barnes and Nobles. It is one of our favorite splurges and we hadn't been the last 3 times we had come to Anchorage. Tonight after our dinner we decided that would be our treat for the day. I got the Brothers Karamazov - I finished War and Peace in 4 days and haven't read Anna Karrina yet, but I heard that in the end she gets run over by the train, so that doesn't sound very uplifting. And I got some craft books.

I was going to get some other classics and I was like, this is dumb. I can check these out at any public library - especially our public library which is a very very fine library indeed. I almost picked up a Heminway set, but then I read a couple pages and I instantly remembered reading them in High School and how hard they were on me and how I've always said I thought the Bell was tolling for Me. Again, not very uplifting reading for scary hospital distractions.

We will post as soon as we can after the heart test on Tuesday. thanks for keeping us in your prayers. And HAPPY 96th birthday to my dear Grandma. Love, Charlotte

3 comments:

jed-laura said...

Well- I think from Laura's reaction to Anna Karenina, the book was not really all that uplifting...

You might stay away from Russian authors in general if you are looking for uplifting books :)

We love you very much, and keep you in our prayers and our thoughts.

The Rhiens said...

We are glad to hear that things are going well so far...that you were able to squeeze some enjoyment into this trip.

Our prayers go with you today and in days to come. We love you!

Earlene and Scott

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us updated and informed.Got a kick out of The "cat scan" e-mail.Love kisses and hugs and my prayers are with you today.Love mother