Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Decontaminating

We are all just chillin' this week. Justin and Alicia are waiting to hear if they got the boat launch concession for the next 7 years. Please keep them in your prayers.

I have de-ionizing and de-isotoping or whatever you call it. I was so loaded with 3 different kinds of radiation I'm surprised anyone in the neighborhood needed lights for 4 days. I think most of it is out of my system, I hope, but my blood sugars are off the chart. They made me stop taking my diabetes med so that the kidneys could work totally on ridding the body of the radiation and now that I have started taking the metformin again, my sugars won't go down. It's all very confusing.

We did a really cool thing - for us anyway - this week. We always buy produce at Sam's club because it is pennies for food that would cost many dollars here in Homer and we can't use up all that produce in 4 days and so lots of it goes bad, but it is still a bargain for us because of what we would have paid for that much produce here. This week, we decided to freeze as much of it as we could, so Alicia looked on the internet about how to freeze each part and then we just went to work peeling and chopping and freezing. And we were able to put all of it into the freezer. We are so excited to have access to this produce whenever we want it. I don't know why we didn't look into this before. Partly I guess because when we get home from Anchorage we are dead tired and don't feel like working in the kitchen for two days.

anyway, last night Alicia made the most fabulous mongolian beef stir fry that I have ever tasted - better than the best Chinese restaurant we have ever eaten in. It was spectacular and we are so excited to be able to have this food right available in our house. Unless you have lived in the boonies where fruits and veggies are not available, you have no idea how excited we are to have produce available. For instance, bell peppers cost $5.0o each in Homer. We got 6 at Sam's club for $7. 50 - $ 1.50 each instead of $5.00. Plus the ones we got were red and yellow and orange - the $5.oo at Homer is for regular green peppers.

You get the idea. It is all like that. Yogurt - last time we paid $5.oo for a multi-pack and it was $22.oo in Homer.

Anyway, we are patting ourselves on the back for being good little housewives. I always remember what Brigham young said, " A careless housewife can throw money out the backdoor with a teaspoon faster than her husband can shovel it in the frontdoor with a wheel barrow. "

We're doing really well this week, just waiting for the surgery. Love, Charlotte

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stress can keep your blood sugar up too. So who has stress?better question who dosn't? I am hanging in. little signs of spring are showing up.I get to see Joanna, cory and the boys, Julia and Jonna and scoat Friday and Saat. I so need an uplift. Love mother