Monday, March 16, 2009

No Surgery

Well, just as we were packing and doing our last minute errands, the doctor from Anchorage called and said that after talking to the cardilogist, she has decided to postpone my surgery for a YEAR ! ! ! A YEAR !! Are you kidding me?

I have a uterus the size of a full term pregnancy and a hernia that is actually bigger than the full term uterus - in other words, I have two mass growths in my abdomen the equivalent of 2 watermelons. they have no structural support so standing and walking is just stretching my skin to limits that will never be repairable, the weight of carrying these two growths around is exhausting and painful and yet they will not at this time attempt to repair either one of them because according to the cardiologist, if they operate on me I am at risk for chest pain or elevated heart rate while on the operating table? Are you serious? I have had continuous chest pain due to lupus for 30 years.

Anyway, the gyn said to come on up (and spend another thousand dollars or so) and we'll do a D&C and do a close look on the tissue. Yeah, right. I can do a D&C down here and be home an hour later.

I'm so hacked right now I can't even begin to have words for it - oh wait, the heart treatment that we are going to do for the next year while we let the abdomen fill with cancer??? Beta Blockers and aspirin therapy. I've been on aspirin therapy for FORTY YEARS, but I guess he thinks that forty-first year will be the one that kicks that teeny tiny piece of placque out of that teeny tiny spot in the bottom of my heart.
GRRRRRRRR !!!!!
My plan right now, is to have the D&C done here in Homer, we have a gyn that just opened up a part-time clinic at the hospital. He usually works out of Soldotna and I will have my regular surgeon do the hernia repair, also here in Homer. I would prefer to do them in Anchorage where we have access to cardiology back-up, but if the choice is waiting for a year and having cardiology and doing it now and trusting to God, I choose to do it now.

6 comments:

Wild Banks' said...

As if what you put up with every day wasn't enough, they had to go and add a couple thick skulled-medcos to the mix! Count me in to the prayer party when the time comes!

jed-laura said...

sorry to hear about the situation. That stinks. I hope the doctors and you can come to an agreement as to what is going to work, and what is best for you and your health. We love you!

The Rhiens said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your disappointment and frustration. I read this a couple of days ago, but just don't know what to say that doesn't sound trite and inadequate. I can sense your great frustration. I hope that it can all be resolved in a way that brings peace back to your life. I love you and send my continuing love, support and prayers.

Love, Earlene and Scott

Joanna said...

We love you. I wish I had something else - something magical and fantastic to say. But my words seem inadequate. Remember that the Lord loves you and He will see you through this.

Hugs and prayers. Lots of prayers.

Anonymous said...

Iam stunned. That uterus has to come out NOW! THE HENIA NEEDS REPARIED NOW! BLESS YOUR HEART . i CAN'ST EVEN IMAGINE HOW YOU FEEL!!

MAYBE CAUSE OF ALL OUR PRAYERS YOU ARE MEANT TO DO WHAT YOU ARE. lOVE MOTHER

Anonymous said...

I am stunned tht anyone would even think of putting off surgery.
Maybe all our prayers have helped and you will see the right doctor fo the job. Keep the faith and listen to you heart/ Love ya so much